- Bath Safety
- Door Openers
- Handicap Showers
- Home Care
- Medical Supplies
- Shower Chairs
- Heavy Duty
- Special Needs
- Personal Security And Safety
- Contractor Solutions
Twelve Things You Should Know About Sliding Transfer Benches
1. Measure Clearance First. Be sure the bench will fit. If the tub wall you need to clear is less than 18.5" above the bathroom floor you have no problems. If it is taller, then be sure to add either 4" or 8" leg extensions to your order.
2. Consider The Users Lower Limb Strength: If the user has minimal leg strength please consider first how they will transfer to the bench from their wheelchair. A swivel seat bench helps, since the seat can be pointed into the bathroom. If the user has no leg strength, then this product might not be the right solution.
3. Consider The User's Upper Body Strength: If the user has minimal upper body and arm strength this might not be the right product. While each bench does come with a seat belt, there is really no way to manage lateral tipping or falling. The user needs to be able to sit up by themselves.
4. Consider The Rail Length: Long and extra long rails are available. If you are using this product in a standard tub/shower setup, the standard rails should work. If you are dealing with a garden tub or if you want additional room on the bathroom side, consider longer rails.
5. Consider The Seat Height: The seat height is affected by the tub wall height. Be sure the user will be able to reach the seat easily. Transferring to a seat that is too high is difficult and sometimes dangerous.
6. Does The Product Work In Both Directions? The answer is yes, this product is reversible.
7. Does The Seat Lock Easily? Yes. The seat locks at each 90 degree point through a complete 360 degree rotation. The lever to lock the seat is located at the front of the seat in the middle and pushes down to lock and pulls up to unlock.
8. What Kind Of Warranty Does This Product Carry? Sliding transfer benches carry a one year limited warranty. We have found this product to be pretty much trouble free. In the few instances where a part has failed, the manufacturer has shipped a replacement bench or the necessary part quickly, without any argument.
9. Is This Item Returnable? Used bathroom products are non-returnable by Federal Law. However, it can be returned if it is unused. Pack it carefully for reshipment, scratches make the product non-returnable. Also be aware of our restocking fees which cover our costs of shipping , as well as re-boxing for resale.
10. How Quickly Can I Get This Product. Sliding transfer benches ship from Los Angeles, usually within one business day of the order being placed. Shipping to the Western U.S. is 1 to 2 days, for the Midwest 3 to 4 days and for the Eastern U.S. 5 days. We can air ship if you need it quick. Call for an exact quote for air shipping.
11. Does Insurance Pay For This? We do not bill insurance and are not experts on insurance coverage. To the best of our knowledge, Medicare will pay for a very basic non-sliding transfer bench (somewhere around $40). Most other insurance companies have a very similar policy. You should check with your insurance provider to confirm coverage.
12. Can I See One Of These Here In My Hometown? Probably not. We are a web based store and do not have showrooms located around the U.S. Many customers have told us that they have been unable to find a local supplier that has a sample for viewing.